Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thinking "Outside of the Cookie"



Since opening my Etsy shop with ClipArt and KK Images, I have been asked numerous times, if I have a coordinating cutter for a particular image. 

My answer is usually:
"If I do, there will be a picture and a link along with the description. However, all images can be placed on an cutter with just a little "thinking outside of the cookie!"

This is just a little example of what I mean...



 Here I have 4 various plaque shapes and 4 images from the shop. 
*Just pretend you don't see that one on the bottom right. It didn't turn out. And by "turn out" I mean the black I was using decided to splatter all over the cookie causing a big mess. So my son ate it. See, not all cookies end up being a masterpiece, but they are still yummy!

(These can be purchased here. We also have a coupon COMEONSPRING, good until April 20th)



For this tutorial I used my KopyKake Projector. 
Place your cookie under and look for different options. Anything works.  
Move your lens up and down, looking for something that pleases your eye.
My favorite compositions are usually when an image is off set within the surrounding shape. 

In this case, I wanted the chick to take up most of the cookie, while still being "off set" just a tad. Symmetry really is boring. 

Jill over at Funky Cookie Studio, does this a lot and is a fantastic example of how you can place any image on any cookie!



The same goes for this shape. I tried many options. But eventually went with one very off set since I wanted to put some wording to the side. 



*Now comes the outlining. I used piping consistancy and a tip #1 for this particular image. 





*Next: Just fill! I use about a 15- 20 second icing to fill. 




* Use marker or paint for all black pieces first. Eyes, eyebrows and mouth. Once dry, pipe on beak and little red tongue. 
* ( Did you notice the flower changed colors? Well, yep, I took off the flower because it just wasn't the right color)


*Add a little bit of petal dust to for rosey cheeks!


* Markers and/or gel food color for inside and woodgrain on birdhouse. Add flowers and accent with petal dust as much or as little as you like. 

*I made a lot of these little royal icing transfer flowers and keep them for later use. In the end, I didn't like the colors I used on the two chicks so I decided to just pipe some on. But I loved using them in the bird house! 

Here's how I made them:
 Pipe on taped down parchment paper, in this order.



Last pipe in a center dot and let dry for at least 24hrs. 



*Peel off very slowly and store for as long as color lasts (close to a year) in a tupperware container. 


Hope this helps you change the way you look at cookie shapes! Don't forget, cookie decorating should be fun!

Happy Spring All!! :)

~Krista xxx

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing, they are wonderful and made me smile ear to ear! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista, you are an AMAZING artist and cookier!!! I love your designs and the way you think about your cookies!

    ReplyDelete

More to Like

More to Like